As I’ve been doing for the past couple of weeks, here’s my unedited thoughts on tonight’s American Idol. There may be spoilers, you’ve been warned.
Ryan Seacrest really grates on me nerves these days. I used to find him hot, now I find him exceedingly annoying. His “This is American Idol” sounds too fake and his demeanor just makes me go “ock”.
They introduced the Top 8; I thought “who’s the new girl?” It was Jason Castro. Tonight’s theme: “Inspirational Songs”.
1. Michael Johns, “Dream On” by Aerosmith. Usually a favorite of mine, he seems to be struggling to me a little bit. He could have taken it down a step and probably sounded more comfortable. Good performance but he didn’t do anything new with the song.
Paula is liquored up. She’s lucky I like her single else I wouldn’t give her a second notice.
I must by cranky tonight. I hate the audience tonight and I’m not in the mood for the syrupy explanations of why the performers chose their song.
2. Syesha Mercado, “I Believe” by Fantasia. She sounds like someone else but I can’t decide who. Maybe Whitney. I like this better than Fantasia’s. Ms. Thing hand movements, interesting. Where did that Mariah yelp come from? I’m impressed.
The judges are dipshits. They’re complaining because the performers are singing the songs that others have already sang. No shit sherlock, what the hell are they suppose to sing?
3. Jason Castro, “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” by some guy in Hawaii. Aloha Don Ho. Your hair is dirty. Same old, same old, boo-boop boo-boop boo-boop the TiVo goes. You will never hear this on a Top 40 station. Must be I’m missing something on this guy. I don’t agree with the judges at all.
4. Kristy Lee Cook, “Anyway” by Martina McBride. I don’t like watching her sing. The band is drowning out her vocals and she doesn’t sound too bad tonight. The hand movements are forced. A few pitch issues. More than a few on the second verse. Paula is up, someone goosed her animatronic remote.
A mike squeal on this multi-million dollar show? Puleez. And I’m missing the oval on the bumper, but I’ve mentioned that once or twice.
5. David Cook, “Innocent” by Our Lady Peace. Thank God his hair is getting tamer. Not familiar with the track but it fits his style. Good display of range. His eyes look weird to me tonight. Paula’s animatronics are getting weird again. Someone please pull her plug. He writes on his hand. That’s a first. Not a bad performance.
6. Carly Smithson, “The Show Must Go On” by Queen. I love her accent but of course it’s because she’s Irish. She always looks intense when she sings. She dead on with her pitch. Clothes are better. Not her best performance, she wasn’t comfortable.
7. David Archuleta, “Angels” by (I have no idea). He likes singing somewhat religious songs. He sings beautifully. I’m not a big fan of the pronunciation of “ain-julls”. A good performance but again I found him in his safe zone. He’s a brilliant vocalist but avoided risk tonight.
8. Brooke White, “You’ve Got A Friend” by Carole King. Song choice totally fits her style. Hand movements look rehearsed to me (why do I notice that?) Safe performance, not bad but I don’t feel engaged.
My prediction: I want Jason to go home but it’ll probably be Carly.