Today I found out that I have to have my two top wisdom teeth out. They’ve been bothering me for the past two months or so, but I didn’t have dental insurance until today. I haven’t had dental insurance since 1992. And I’ll admit it, I haven’t been to the dentist since then.
I know, I know, eeeewwwwwww.
Fortunately, my teeth have held up pretty good over the years and things aren’t nearly as bad as I thought they would be. I don’t know if I’m going to have to be knocked out to have them taken out or what, but while it sounds painful, I find it morbidly exciting.
So I’ll be losing a little bit of wisdom as I lose the remaining wisdom teeth. Oh well. My mouth was looking too fat anyway.
Of course, everyone should be using as much wisdom as possible when they go to the polls tomorrow. Please remember to vote tomorrow. Make your vote count. And please think long and hard before you vote. Don’t just put your finger on the party line of your choice and zip across. Know your candidates. Know the issues. Study up tonight!!! I just ask that you consider a couple of things:
- The current administration has introduced the first constitutional amendment that takes away citizen’s rights rather than guaranteeing them. If they can take away the right of gay marriage with a constitutional amendment, what is to prevent the government for taking away other rights using the same methods?
- We have the largest national debt in history. Four years ago, the budget was balanced.
- We essentially lost millions of tons of one of the most dangerous explosives known to man to the enemy.
- Gas prices have gone from $1.39/gallon to $2.09/gallon in four years.
- The cost of health care is out of control. There are many, many American without health coverage at all. Just today, I paid $136 for a five day supply of pain killers for an infected wisdom tooth. Luckily, I could afford the prescription. How many people are sitting at home tonight with an outrageous toothache and no means to pay for the medicine to cure it?
- Oneida County, N.Y., where we currently live, is about to enact the largest sales and use tax in the history of the United States. That’s right folks, we’re going to be paying a 9.75% sales tax on everything aside from milk, bread and other food essentials. Yes, our Charmin is going to cost nearly 10% more than the rest of the country. Our clothing and shoes will have a nearly 10% tax tacked on. This is to cover Medicaid and Medicare.
- The current administration is cutting funding for the “No Child Left Behind” program. Are our schools doing so spectacularly well that we can afford to cut funding to them?
- The United States has lost credibility and respect throughout the world with our “go it alone” policy when it comes to foreign affairs.
- And finally, are we really any safer than we were before September 11, 2001? Do you feel that the airlines really need to know your credit history just so you can ride in an airplane? Are you comfortable with being tracked via electronic means as you conduct your business and maintain your personal life? Do you value your privacy?
While I sincerely hope that you vote for a change in administration, please think long and hard before you push the lever, touch the screen or tick a box. And please, by all means, make your voice heard and exercise your right to vote. Your country depends on it.